What’s on the menu this week?! Veggie packed spaghetti! Spaghetti is new to my son’s palate. I’m not sure why I haven’t shared it with him yet. I know he loves pasta and tomatoes. So, in preparation for our big snow here in North Carolina (we got one inch), I thought spaghetti would be easy to make and leave us with leftovers to survive the great winter storm. Of course, I couldn’t just go with traditional spaghetti. I have a toddler to fool and something was telling me this would be a good way to do it. So, I packed my spaghetti with yummy and colorful vegetables. Here’s what I got myself into!
Ingredients: 28oz can crushed tomatoes, 15oz tomato sauce, 1lb lean hamburger, spaghetti noodles, 2 carrots, 1 medium zucchini, 1 medium squash, 1 medium green bell pepper, 1 small onion, 2tbsp sugar, basil, oregano, parsley and garlic powder
1. Finely chop all veggies, shred carrots using a grater and stir fry in olive oil on medium-high heat until tender
2. Brown hamburger, sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder to flavor
3. Once hamburger is cooked through, add veggies and mix
4. Add crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce, combine well. Sprinkle generously with oregano, basil and parsley, mix together.
5. Add sugar to sauce and simmer sauce on low. Cook noodles per package directions.
6. Serve sauce over noodles, sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bon Appe’tit baby and husband!
Verdict: Toddler and husband approved! It’s hard enough to please one but both of them, give this mama an award. My husband suggested I add mushrooms, which I think is a great idea. I will try that next time. My favorite part about this meal was that we sat down together and ate as a family, but not before we prayed as a family. I must say, veggie packed spaghetti was very yummy and will be on our regular menu. I’m not sure how it freezes, because we didn’t have any to spare. It would be nice to have some pre-made spaghetti on hand though, I’ll have to give it a try.
So, there you have it. I just kind of threw this dish together and it worked out for my family. I hope it will for yours too! Let me know if you give it a try. Find more toddler friendly recipes here.
Respect, kindness and love begin with babies…we must show them the way!