Oh the sweet, sweet goodness of a newborn! The days and nights seem so long but the reality is they fly by. Parents are sleep deprived and doing the best they can and babies are becoming more aware of their surroundings and soaking up information like a sponge. Let’s take a look at what skills typically develop around two months of age.
- Coos, gurgles, makes pleasure sounds
- Produces some vowel sounds
- Cries when hungry or uncomfortable
- Stops crying when comforted
- Startled by loud sounds
- Smiles reflexively
- May develop social smile
- Recognizes mother
- Responds to familiar voices
- Looks at faces
- Raises head and shoulders when lying on stomach
- Moves hand to mouth
- Brings hands together
It’s important to note that babies develop at their own unique rate. Their development is highly variable. If you have any questions about your baby’s development, talk with your pediatrician.