Today I attended a continuing education course on autism spectrum disorder. It was a good day! It was my first full day away from baby (which was good for both of us) and it was a good refresher on all things related to autism, which I frequently work with in my practice as a speech-language pathologist. I want to briefly share my take aways:
- Autism is a neurobiological disorder of development.
- It presents with 2 core deficits: social communication deficits and restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interest, or activities. These deficits are pervasive (occur across settings) and interfere with daily function.
- Autism is a language based disorder.
- Children with autism respond best to visuals, routines, and predictability within their environments.
- Always, always, always use visuals to provide clear indication of what happens next, where you are going, and expected behavior